World Travel & Tourism Council (“WTTC”, “we”, “us” or “our”) is committed to protecting your privacy and processing your personal data in accordance with the law.
We recognise our obligation to keep personal data secure and believe it is important for our partners, members, website users, and other individuals to know how we treat their personal data.
Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
By visiting our website, downloading the WTTC Mobile Application or otherwise providing data to us you acknowledge the practices described in this policy.
1. Who are we?
WTTC is a membership organisation founded by, and existing to serve companies and institutions engaged in or with the economic sector of Travel & Tourism. We are headquartered in the United Kingdom and incorporated as a Private company limited by guarantee without share capital, company number 02506591. Our registered office address is The Harlequin Building, 65 Southwark Street, London, SE1 0HR, United Kingdom.
For the purposes of the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (the “GDPR”), WTTC is the “Data Controller” responsible for your personal data. WTTC is registered as a Data Controller with the UK Information Commissioner’s Office (“ICO”), which is an independent public body sponsored by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport of the UK Government.
WTTC has also voluntarily appointed a Data Protection Officer to act as the first point of contact for the EU Supervisory Authorities and for individuals whose data is processed.
2. The information we collect from you
We may collect the following categories of personal data directly from individuals when they submit their personal data to us by filling in forms (on our website or otherwise), by downloading, signing up for and using the WTTC Mobile Application, or by corresponding with us by phone, email or otherwise.
This includes information you provide when you apply for membership, subscribe for our newsletter, register to attend an event, request information, participate in a competition, promotion or survey or in discussion boards on our website.
The information you give us may include your name, job title, address, email address, phone number, postal address, company name and address, alternative contact details (e.g. those of a family member or secretary), photograph and financial information.
3. The information we collect about you
When you access our website or WTTC Mobile Application, we may automatically collect the following:
- Technical information, including the Internet Protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your browser or device type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system, platform and the domain name of your Internet Service Provider, etc.; and
- Information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our website or WTTC Mobile Application (including date and time), page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page.
If you work for or are otherwise engaged with a company or institution in which WTTC has an interest, we may collect personal data about you from friends, colleagues or from information in the public domain to contact you.
We may also capture personal data when you attend an event hosted by us via photograph, video or audio footage taken.
4. Our use of personal data
We will only process your personal data in accordance with this policy and applicable law.
We will process your personal data for the following purposes as is necessary for the performance of a contract between you and us (including our Terms and Conditions), or to answer questions or take steps at your request prior to entering into a contact:
- To create and manage Member accounts;
- To administer our membership scheme;
- To provide the WTTC Mobile Application;
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us;
- To notify you about changes to our service;
- To administer any promotion or competition; and
- To respond to inquiries or to process requests and to provide services and support.
We will process your personal data for the following purposes as necessary for certain legitimate interests, or where you have given your informed consent to such processing if required by applicable law (such consent can be withdrawn at any time):
- To provide you with information about the services we provide;
- To offer our services to you in a personalised way;
- To send you personalised marketing communications, in order to keep you informed of our and our selected partner’s products and services, which we consider may be of interest to you;
- To provide you, or allow selected third parties to provide you, with information about products or services, that may interest you;
- To allow you to participate in contests and surveys and benefit from personalised promotional offers; and
- To allow you to participate in features of our service, when you choose to do so.
We will process your personal data for the following purposes as necessary in our legitimate business interests (provided such interests are not overridden by your interests or fundamental rights):
- To monitor quality control and ensure compliance with any and all applicable laws, regulations, codes and ordinances;
- To create products or services that may meet our customers’ needs;
- To resolve any disputes;
- To ensure the security of your account and our business, preventing or detecting fraud or abuses of our website and the WTTC Mobile Application, for example, by requesting verification information in order to reset your account password (if applicable);
- To develop and improve our products and services, for example, by reviewing visits to our website and its various subpages and the WTTC Mobile Application, demand for specific products and services and user comments;
- To administer our website and the WTTC Mobile Application and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- As part of our efforts to keep our website and the WTTC Mobile Application safe and secure;
- To improve our website and the WTTC Mobile Application to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer or device; and
We may also process your personal data to comply with applicable law, for example, in response to a request from a court or regulatory body, where such request is made in accordance with the law.
We may also process your personal data in order to protect your vital interests or the vital interests of another person.
5. How long do we keep your information?
We will store your personal data, in a form which permits us to identify you, for no longer than is necessary for the purpose for which the personal data is processed. We may retain and use your personal data as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements including our Terms and Conditions, and rights, or if it is not technically or reasonably feasible to remove it. We review our retention periods for personal data on a regular basis.
6. Who has access to your information?
We will not sell or rent your information to third parties.
We will not share your information with third parties for marketing purposes.
We may share your personal data with selected third parties including:
- Suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract we enter into with them or you, who are bound by law to protect your personal data and only use your personal data in accordance with our instructions;
- Analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our website and the WTTC Mobile Application;
- One or more third parties in connection with or during negotiation of any merger, financing, acquisition or dissolution, transition, or proceeding involving the sale, transfer, divestiture, or disclosure of all or a portion of our business or assets. In the case of a merger or sale, your personal data will be permanently transferred to a successor company. If a change happens to our business, then the new owners may use your personal data in the same way as set out in this policy;
- Any other third party where you have provided your consent.
For WTTC Members Only: From time to time we publish a Members Directory in order to educate members about each other’s businesses and to provide a member with the contact details for each member (if a member has consented to his or her details being disclosed, such consent may be withdrawn at any time). Please note that members do not have the right to require us to give them access to other member’s personal data.
7. Where We Store Your Personal Data
The data that we collect from you may be transferred to countries other than the country you live in, where it may be processed by staff who work for us or for one of our suppliers. These countries may have laws different to what you’re used to. However, when we disclose personal data to a third party in another country, we put safeguards in place to ensure your personal data remains protected.
For individuals in the European Economic Area (“EEA”), this means that your data may be transferred outside of the EEA. Where your personal data is transferred outside the EEA, it will only be transferred to countries that have been identified as providing adequate protection for EEA data (like New Zealand), or to a third party where we have approved transfer mechanisms in place to protect your personal data – i.e., by entering into the European Commission’s Standard Contractual Clauses, or by ensuring the entity is Privacy Shield certified (for transfers to US-based third parties).
8. How do we secure your information?
WTTC maintains strict physical, electronic and administrative safeguards for the protection of users’ personal data from unauthorised or inappropriate access. Employees, business partners and affiliates who misuse a user’s personal data are subject to disciplinary actions.
9. Email newsletters
If you sign-up to the WTTC newsletter on our website, we will periodically send you email newsletters about our services.
If you no longer wish to receive our newsletters, you may opt out at any time by following the “unsubscribe” instructions located at the bottom of each email.
10. Your choices (EU individuals only)
In certain circumstances, you may have the following rights in relation to your personal data:
- Request access to your personal data. You may have the right to request access to any personal data we hold about you as well as related information, including the purposes for processing the personal data, the recipients or categories of recipients with whom the personal data has been shared, where possible, the period for which the personal data will be stored, the source of the personal data, and the existence of any automated decision making.
- Request correction of your personal data. You may have the right to obtain without undue delay the rectification of any inaccurate personal data we hold about you.
- Request erasure of your personal data. You may have the right to request that personal data held about you is deleted.
- Request restriction of processing your personal data. You may have the right to prevent or restrict processing of your personal data.
- Request transfer of your personal data. You may have the right to request transfer of personal data directly to a third party where this is technically feasible.
- Right to object. You may have the right to object to the processing of your personal data when you have legitimate reasons to do so.
- Right to withdraw consent. Where the basis for processing is consent, you may have the right to withdraw such consent at any time. In some cases, if you withdraw your consent to our use of your personal data, we may not be in a position to continue to provide our services or products to you.
We aim to respond to requests made by you within one month, but may extend that period by two further months where necessary.
To exercise the above-mentioned rights, please send an e-mail with an enclosed copy of the frontside of your identity card to email@example.com. We reserve the right to request the provision of additional information necessary to confirm the identity of the enquirer.
11. Questions and comments