Global Tourism Business Award Finalist
“Air New Zealand aims to become the world’s most environmentally sustainable airline and it’s pleasing to see this commitment recognised at these globally renowned awards.” – Chief Executive Officer Christopher Luxon.
To achieve our goal, we have implemented a wide range of initiatives across the business, including:
- Investment in a young, fuel efficient fleet
- Fuel efficient technology including blended winglets on our B767 fleet which reduce drag and zonal driers which reduce weight on our long-haul aircraft, improving efficiency and reducing CO2 emissions
- A tailored arrivals programme at San Francisco Airport using technology to ensure the most direct path to landing and a reduction in carbon emissions
- Commercial partnerships supporting the New Zealand Antarctic Research Institute and Department of Conservation
- The Air New Zealand Environment Trust which is committed to funding and supporting green projects around New Zealand
- A 3,500 strong internal Green Team which promotes environmental sustainability both at work and at home
- A groundbreaking biofuel test flight
Between 2006 and 2011, Air New Zealand achieved a 15% improvement in fuel efficiency, equivalent to more than 140,000 tonnes of carbon emissions annually and we are continuing to deliver savings. In 2012, CO2 savings totalled almost 145,000 tonnes or 57.7 million litres.